The Odd Wife


Monday, January 23, 2006

Of Course

Murphy's Law is defined as "any of certain humorous universal truths stating that anything that can possibly go wrong, will go wrong". The phrase was actually born at Edwards Air Force Base in 1949 named after Capt. Edward A. Murphy, an engineer working on Air Force Project MX981. One day, after finding that a transducer was wired wrong, he cursed the technician responsible and said, "If there is any way to do it wrong, he'll find it." The contractor's project manager kept a list of "laws" and added this one, which he called Murphy's Law.

Murphy would have loved me. Murphy's Law is a constant in my life.

I had an interview this morning. It went very well, the office is extremely close to my home, the hours are ideal and the building is beautiful. The salary is $12,000 less than I make now. It was hardly worth getting dressed up for. On my way home, my cell rang. An employment agency I was working with told me they had good news and great news. The good news? The job I wanted most is not only offering me the position, but upped the salary by $8000. The great news (I kid you not) was that the agent proclaimed to have just saved a ton of money on car insurance. Ah...Monday humor.

Murphy's Law? Oh, yes - they want me to start tomorrow.

You know, tomorrow? The day I am flying to Chicago? My birthday?

I tried to explain that I could not start until Monday and they hassled me a bit. I told them I would call them back. I'm waiting to talk to PC to determine his thoughts on the subject.

Chicago? Snow? PC? Maybe. Maybe not.

Damn Murphy.

Posted by Red :: 11:28 AM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com