The Odd Wife


Saturday, January 21, 2006

That little light

Every Friday night, PC and I rotate "date night". Last night was my turn. I had planned out a meal and used my last few dollars to gather some items - candles from the $1 store, capers, lemon juice, doilies...a feast of chicken piccata and candlelight. Just before I actually set the chicken to cook, PC called and told me to stop and put it all away. We were going out for dinner.

And not just any dinner. A feast at my all-time favorite restaurant The Mai Kai. Pricey, to say the least, and ultimately wonderful. Strolling the Tiki gardens, watching a dinner show of dancers, drumming and fire twirling, dimly lit room and sitting close to a man with a smile that still melts me.

PC is leaving tomorrow morning for his 7 day training in Chicago. Last night, he asked if I wanted to go along. Air fare is still reasonable and it looks like PC might be whisking me off to the Windy City for a few days. He'll be tied up most of the time, but the idea of exploring a new place has me all aflutter - even better, I am praying for snow. I've never seen snow and I've yearned to play in it. Here's hoping it comes to fruition.

Part of me wants to go and the other part wants to be sure I don't get in his way while he's doing something so important. I'll be happy either way. It means something that he wanted me there.

I treated myself to a little birthday present today. A movie. PC "lent" me some cash to hold me and I was cooped up and needed a break. I saw Last Holiday and it was inspirational. If you're feeling a case of the blahs (as I have been for MONTHS now!) this is a film to encourage you to live.

For the first time in so long I feel hopeful and inspired.

My actual birthday is Tuesday - and if I DO go to Chicago, I'll fly out on Tuesday. If you read my blog last year, you know that I am a fanatic about birthdays - especially my own. I expect parades and parties and princess treatment. This year, I've been quiet. No obnoxious reminding the world how many days until I age again and no demanding special things. So much has changed.

And I guess I have too. I'll be 33 on Tuesday. Older? Yes. Wiser? That remains to be seen. But I'm feeling a bit more encouraged to welcome another year in this life and see where it takes me.

Posted by Red :: 3:31 PM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com