The Odd Wife


Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

A woman has two smiles that an angel might envy, the smile that accepts a lover before words are uttered, and the smile that lights on the first born babe, and assures it of a mother's love. --Thomas C. Haliburton

It's not the sort of Mother's Day that will go down as sweetly memorable, is it? I'm still laid up in bed, sleeping more than awake. EH and SG are working to clean the house (the only gift I asked for was a clean house). This is one of my rare "awake" moments and believe me, I am already planning to go back to bed in a moment.

While my blog primarily focuses on marriage, being a mother is a precious gift that I do not take forgranted. I think it was best expressed in the sappy movie The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood when the dramatic Vivi says to her grown daughter, "...And then it dawned on me. All those years that I prayed, begging on my hands and knees for God to make me more, give me more, make me better, make me stronger, make me saner. Make all my dreams come true. I finally got an answer. Right there in one person, all I'd ever wanted to be, or do. And there you are. You came right through me and I never even realized it."

I see all of that in SG. She's a grown woman in a 9 year olds body - full of wisdom and the sort of common sense most adults lack, combined with a childlike innocense. She's so brilliant and caring and loving. In her, I see the possibilities of everything I ever dreamt. Being her mother is the greatest gift of all...

And now, in my own ongoing drama, I shall take to my bed again...somehow, I'm not convinced I'm going to make it to work tomorrow.

Posted by Red :: 7:21 PM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com