The Odd Wife


Monday, May 23, 2005

All Nighter

And so, I'll never sleep again!

EH and I just finished watching the movie White Noise. It doesn't even matter that it didn't make much sense at the end. All I know is that it scared the hell out of me. I am officially afraid of static.

So, since I'm up...let's talk nonsense, shall we?

It was a typical Monday at work much to my dismay. I arrived on time and promptly dove into my work and found myself incredibly focused and productive...until my supervisor got snippy out of the blue. A co-worker that I don't work directly with had called to speak with her and then asked to speak to me. In transferring the call to me, she asked me why he would ask for me. I said that I didn't know and guessed that maybe he was wanting to ask why I missed the party over the weekend or to ask for a CD he had loaned me back. She snapped at me that I didn't really have time for this kind of personal interaction and to keep it short.

I'm 32. I've never had to be disciplined at work. What is this shit? I didn't ask this employee to call me and I was minding my own business and doing my job. The call didn't distract me...her attitude did. While I managed to get back to focused and got a ton of work done, I seethed for the rest of the day and dreamt of a new job with grown-ups who have some shred of management experience. I might add that as usual I did not take a lunch break and stayed almost an hour past quitting time.

Moving on...

Did you ever have a million dollar idea? I've had a few in my lifetime. Sounds silly, right? It's true. I've had 3 to be precise. One was an invention that I talked to my family about and a few years later saw it developed (but it has yet to enter wide-use). The second was a business service and I actually did start my own small business and found a modicum of success. At least until I put all my eggs in one basket and lost my focus. The third was a technology idea - and this is the one I want to talk about now.

I was convinced my technology idea was the next big thing. I discussed it with a select trusted few. I wrote up notes, I computed costs and profits, I drafted ideas...but I found myself too busy to develop it. And then tonight, I discovered someone had tried to implement this idea...only they gave up on it. That fuels my interest to re-pursue this. Maybe...? I'll need an investor first and I'm preparing to put out feelers to a couple people that I know who might take an interest.

I'm going to go spend the rest of the night reading now...in a spooked, huddled sort of way.

Posted by Red :: 11:37 PM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com