The Odd Wife


Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Dear Parent/Guardian,

How well do you know your children?

Do you know if they're well liked at school? Do you know if they're the target of bullies? Do you know if they're an outcast?

Do you know what your child does for lunch?

Do you know how your child gets along with teachers at their school? Do you know if your child finished their math homework? Do you know when the next English test is? Do you know if they studied?

Do you know whether or not your child is hurting inside? Do you know if they're contemplating harming themself or someone else?

Do you know how your child feels? Do you know what thoughts fill their head? Do you know how they spend their free time? Do you know if they need help?

I drive my 9 year old insane with my questions and I never let her answer with "I don't know" or "I forget". Before she goes to bed I know what she had for lunch in the cafeteria, what her favorite part of the day was and who she likes and who bothers her in school. I know when her tests are and whether or not she studied. I know if her homework is done. I know if she's being teased.

Talk to your children. Talk to them ALL THE TIME.

How does a parent or guardian not know their child is suffering? How do you know know your child needs help?

You must have a relationship with your child. You must interact with them. You must push them to communicate sometimes, but you must open up a dialogue.

Do you know who your child is?

Posted by Red :: 7:42 AM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com