The Odd Wife


Wednesday, January 12, 2005

At Odds with Even

You didn't think I would let EH do all the talking today, did you?

First of all, I saw a man murder a possum last night. It was horrible. It was necessary. I was driving to the store to get dinner fixings and spotted some creature flopping in the road terribly. I managed to turn around to get my lights on the animal (I was so worried it was a cat or something that had been hit) and saw a possum writhing and flopping in obvious agony. Nearby was a big blood splat, so clearly it had been hit. I was pondering what to do...call Wildlife rescue? Suddenly a man began walking towards the possum and me...carrying a gigantic rock over his head. My eyes must have popped out of my head and I burned rubber getting the fuck out of there in reverse. I understand it. I didn't want to see (or hear) it. Ugh.

My usual sappy lovey-dovey post is cancelled today. EH was a bad boy last night.

Yesterday, on my lunch hour, I spotted this magnificent steak for sale at the grocery store and grabbed it. I dreamt up this wonderful, elaborate dinner to serve to the man I loved. When I came home, I mentioned I had no side dishes and EH responded "That was poor planning on your part, wasn't it?". I know he was kidding, but there was no indication of it at the time and I stomped out to the grocery store just seconds after finally arriving home. I bought artichokes, hollandaise sauce mix, mashed potatos...then lovingly prepared them all. I called EH from the kitchen to please clear the living room table because we would need a lot of room. The finishing touch was sprinkling parsley on the hollandaise sauce dish in the shape of a heart. I was carrying 4 hot plates, full and burning my fingers to the living room and spotted a huge, fat, hairy cat lying in the center of a very, very cluttered table. EH was sitting at the computer, typing. I said "Hon?" No answer. Fingers burning. Sauce overflowing. Plates bobbling. "Hon? Hon?" Without looking up, he snaps in a loud and nasty tone "What?!"

Wrong move.

He argued later that I was just saying his name, not asking for help. Sorry, but in the span of time I was juggling scalding dishes over overly full saucy items I had no time to comprise a sonnet. I just expected him to look up at his name being called.

I was so frustrated. I'm forever making these sweeping gestures of love and adoration in posts, sexual favors (like the previous nights hand/blow job), cooking fancy meals - you name it...and it's one-sided. EH never goes out of his way to do something nice for me just because. And here I was, tired from work, busting my ass to make him a really nice meal and not so much as a "thanks" passed his lips. Frankly, my feelings were hurt. I didn't expect a sonnet, just some sign of appreciation...even if it was just helping by clearing the table.

What really stung...he was writing a post for this blog. And when I began to holler at him about behaving badly, he deleted it. I have no idea what it said. I assume it's one of the two he posted this morning (he re-wrote it).

I know he didn't mean to hurt my feelings. I know he loves me. I know this isn't such a big deal. But it would be nice to be on the receiving end from time to time.

I'll get over it. But right now, I'm a little grouchy. It could be worse. I could have had to murder a wounded possum. Ugh.

Posted by Red :: 1:50 PM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com