The Odd Wife


Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Do you believe in magic?

Do you believe in magic? I do. I wouldn't want to live in a world without magic.

I'm talking about a variety of magics. From the miracles of nature to feminine intuition to fairies and Santa Clause...I buy into it all.

Last night was the Geminids meteor shower and EH, SG and I drove out into the night quite late to find a dark spot to watch. We selected the perfect location and lay on the pavement to watch the stars whizzing over our heads, making wishes on every one of them.

elstpizarro

SG had to have me tell her the mythological stories of the constellations for the billionth time. We spoke of magic and nature and life.

We chose stars to give to each other. Easy ones to find in the sky. And swore to love each other for as long as that star burned in the night. For a short time, we were embraced in a magical moment.

SG has already tentatively questioned the Santa Clause issue. This is not a problem for me since I wholeheartedly believe in Santa. I just see him as a metaphor, a spirit that inspires us and who is portrayed as a jolly fat man rather than a true person. If EH gets me the little star earrings I shrieked over, they're still from Santa in my heart! Just from Santa, care of EH!

I also believe in fairies, mainly because it's fun. One night, about a year ago, I sprinkled shimmering glitter across SG's window sill in the middle of the night and left a teeny-tiny sterling silver fairy wand beside it. She was beside herself the next morning with excitement. We paint birdhouses and transform them into fairy houses where any traveling fairies are welcome to stay. Sometimes, late at night, I sneak into her room and dab a tiny pale pink glittery spot on her forehead - we call them fairy kisses. SG likes to imagine some fairy has kissed her goodnight and wished her sweet dreams.

So, yes. In my family - we believe in magic.

SG was a little tired this morning, as she always is after we star gaze a meteor shower...but in 20 years, she will remember with ease and delight the night we spent cuddled together in the cool air, telling stories in hushed voices and wishing on stars. A childhood memory much, much more valuable than a few yawns during the next day.

And a beautiful memory for me too...

Do you believe in magic?

Posted by Red :: 2:45 PM :: |
---------------------------------------
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Free Counter
Web Site Counter Take the MIT Weblog Survey Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com